John Palmer’s Arcade Hotel was built early 1906 and was part of the Victorian Arcade. The hotel had electricity which was a big plus back then. It was once a state of the art shopping centre being undercover. Hotel rooms were built over the shops. The main entrance from St James Street, not Fore Street as most people visit today.